- Golfing on Maui is a lauded pastime of world travelers and there is no secret as to why. Maui’s world class and unique tropical courses are considered among the very best. Much like the island itself, Maui’s golf courses are ‘No Ka Oi’. With award winning designers such as Robert Trent Jones Sr., Robert Trent Jones Jr., Arnold Palmer, Robin Nelson, and Francis Duane to name a few, Maui’s courses are rightly acclaimed. Maui plays host to PGA and LPGA Tours including the Mercedes Championships Senior Skins and other Pro tours. You can bring your clubs to your Maui condo rental or rent all of your golf equipment here in Kihei, Wailea, Lahaina or Ka’anapali. Be prepared to leave your luggage at the condo as you can easily be out all day.
Upcountry Maui Golf
- Pukalani Country Club
Treat yourself to a cooler day in Pukalani Maui. About 10 degrees cooler than those courses 1000 feet below! With sweeping vistas of central Maui, the West Maui Mountains and resting on the side of Haleakala this golf course provides a leisurely pace at a budget cost. Awarded Best Places to play by Golf Digest 2009 and designed by Bob Balddock the course covers 160 acres and is 6962 yards at par 72. 9 holes can be played for as low as $31.00 and a full 18 for $63.00 with special discounts for under 17 and Military players.
Central Maui Golf
- The King Kamehameha Club House and Kalihi Golf Course
With a huge museum like clubhouse based on the architectural genius of Frank Lloyd Wright, the King Kamehameha Country Club course was designed to hug the gentle slopes of Mauna Kahalawai. It is nestled amidst the deeply etched West Maui Mountains. This Maui golf course offers views of the isthmus expanse connecting two ancient volcanoes. The course was designed by Ted Robinson Sr. and updated by Ted Robinson Jr. Nestled against the wall of Waikapu Valley this course and club offer sweeping vistas of Haleakala and the North and South coasts of the island. The Kahili golf course rests over the O’oawa Kalika gulch.From the website: “The King Kamehameha Golf Club is named to honor the greatest king in the history of the Hawaiian Islands. The unification of the islands into a peaceful and prosperous kingdom has become his legacy, and our inspiration to honor the culture of Hawaii and foster an awareness of the ‘aina (land) and its malama ‘aina (native resources). In the manner of ho’okipa (hospitality) befitting the spirit of Hawaii, you will be welcomed with aloha . . . Hawaiian heart and soul. “. Membership is exclusive and by call or email only.
- The Dunes at Maui Lani – Located off Dairy Road in Central Maui, The Dunes opened in 1999 and has since become a fast favorite despite its distance from the sea. Styled after British Isle courses, Golf Magazine regards it as one of the 35 best new courses in the nation. Golf Digest calls it “One of the five best-kept secret courses in America”. The Cafe O’lei Dunes at Maui Lani is a favorite Maui golf restaurant open from 8:00am to 8:00pm. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner with a view of the pond and golf course.
Wailea and Makena Golf
- Wailea Golf Club – The three Wailea courses are world famous. They all feature spectacular vistas of the pacific ocean and are exceptionally maintained. The Blue course was designed by Jack Snyder and has been host to the LPGA Women’s Kemper Open. Wailea Blue is 6,937 yards at par 72. The Emerald Course measures 6,825 yards at par 72. and was designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. It is pricier than the Blue Course and less expensive to play than the Gold Course. The Gold Course is the Jewel of Wailea. This course is the home of the Senior Skins Game, also designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. This course changes 200 feet in elevation, is 7,078 yards long and has a par 72. This is also the most demanding course for strategy minded players.
- Makena Golf & Beach Club – Two courses await you by the sea in Makena Maui. Makena Golf Club is the winner of an assortment of awards regarding the upkeep, design and the excellence of service from its employees. These courses sprawl across 1,800 acres of one of the most beautiful and inspiring spots on the planet. With cool cloud covers, the occasional gentle shower and in the still breezy lee of the trade winds Makena weather is perfect for golf. Both courses were designed by Robert Trent Jr. The South Course is 6,739 yards long with a par 72. This course boasts two holes right along the oceans edge. The North Course changes 200 feet in elevation is 6,567 yards long and has a par 72. The Maui golf course at Makena has fantastic views of Kaho’olawe and Molokini.
- Maui Nui Golf – Located in central Kihei this course is 6,404 yards at par 72. Self described as the fairest course on Maui and excellent for beginners. It is also known as the best value course for the price. Best play is in the morning before the trade winds really pick up. This course is less than a mile from Luana Kai Oceanfront Resort.
North Shore Maui Golf
- Maui’s own Waiehu Municipal Golf Course – On the Western side of the North Shore this budget approved Municipal golf course has hosted the USGA Amateur links Championship. This course is Par 73. Expect a wait as this course is a favorite of locals due both to the presence of cool trade winds and the low fees.
- Maui Country Club – This is a private 9 hole and rather flat course along the coast in Sprecklesville Maui outside of Paia Town. You can still play on Visitors Day which is Monday. 6,589 yards, par 72. Phone 808-877-0616
West Maui Golf
- Ka’anapali Golf Courses – features two outstanding courses. The Tournament North Course was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. at 6,700 yards. This course follows the shoreline before veering up into the foothills of the West Maui’s. The Resort South Course was redesigned by architect Arthur Jack Snyder. At 6,600 yards, par 71 this course is composed of soft rolling greens, and is accompanied by the occasional passing of the Sugar Cane Train.
- Kapalua Golf Courses – championship courses. Designed by Arnold Palmer and Francis Duane, The Bay Course extends 6,600 yards at par 72. The Village Course, designed by Arnold Palmer is a more challenging course, changing elevation and direction frequently. The Plantation Course hosts the Mercedes Championships with 7,263 yards and par 73! All three courses are accompanied at the website by ‘signature hole tours’ that give you tips for beginners and pros for each hole. An excellent resource.