Maui Horseback Riding
Horseback riding tours on Maui offer a peaceful, nature-friendly way to experience remote areas of the island. Learn about the Hawaii of the Paniolos and enjoy the wide open country of Maui. Most tours are operated by full-time paniolos. Horseback rides range from beginner to advanced riders. There are many horseback tours in the morning and evening. Sunset Horseback riding tours are available. Horse riding helmets are generally available by request. It is important to get a well fit saddle. If any of your riders are 5′ 5″ or less, make sure to mention that when you make reservations.
Maui Horse Tours
- Pony Express Tours – Pony Express specializes in horseback riding tours on Haleakala, including tours inside and outside of the crater. Soak in the spectacular views from Haleakala Ranch or the incredible other-worldly terrain of Haleakala Crater. Maui on horseback
- Makani Olu Ranch – is a family run ranch in Waikapu. Their “Waikapu Plantation Ride” offers a less seen view of the island with a horseback riding on Maui into the Mauna Kahalawai valley. This horse riding excursion has views of Haleakala and the North and South shores. Makani Olu’s “Private Ranch Ride” includes 45 minutes of horsemanship training on the ranch with a shorter tour of the Waikapu slope.
- Lahaina Stables – Historic Maui horseback riding tour along the West Maui mountains, near Lahaina and Ka’anapali. Sunset and specialty rides are available. Maui horseback riding on the West side.
- Maui Stables – Owned and Operated by Hawaiians, Maui Stables horseback tours give you a historical and cultural tour through an ancient unspoiled landscape. Two tours daily in the verdant Kipahulu area of Haleakala National Park. Kipahulu has a lush tropical landscape between Hana and Kaupo. There will be fantastic views of the sea. Share the history of Maui with chants, prayers, and oral traditions passed down to you from ancient Hawaii.
- Mendes Ranch – THE MENDES RANCH TRAIL RIDES: Paniolo Horseback – Helicopter Combination. Remote 2.5 to 3 hour ride with Paniolo style BBQ lunch. Unforgettable ride at the top of the West Maui mountains with real paniolos. Some of Maui’s largest waterfalls are hidden here and waiting for you.
- Piiholo Ranch Horseback Rides – 2000 feet above sea level on the slopes of Haleakala, near a rainforest. Focus on Safety and getting just the right horse for you. Intimate rides of 6 people or less. Private rides available. Includes lessons and special events.
- Makena Stables – offers horseback riding at Makena near Wailea. Saddle up and ride with the owner since 1983. Maui-born Patrick Borge is a Paniolo (cowboy) whose knowledge and aloha for the aina and his horses shines. Makena Stable’s tours ride on beach and old lava flow. Makena Stables rides are better for more physically fit riders. The trails can be challenging.
Remember that horses are individual animals with personalities and needs of their own. Pay attention to the horseback tour operators and follow their instructions. Pay attention to your surroundings and to any safety advice given. Horseback riding is a great pastime and should be a good experience for both rider and horse. All of these horses are well trained and should be respected by every rider. Consider only bringing others on a tour if they too are considerate, patient and respectful. Be safe and have a great time!
We know you’ll enjoy your stay and everyone here at Luana Kai . We are happy to help you with recommendations for favorite activities, restaurants, beaches and anything else. Aloha!